1. Anthony Bourdain – C’mon, you didn’t think I would let my ten fave things list escape AB. Why is he a favorite of mine? I find him charming, funny, witty, smart and sexy with the added bonus of loving pork almost as much as I do.
AB walking down a path in the Azores
2. Anantasana pose - http://yoga.about.com/od/yogaposes/a/sleepingvishnu.htm
One of my favorite poses in yoga that helps me stretch before and after I lace up the running shoes and hit the treadmill. It’s been awhile since I’ve hit the treadmill as I am STILL coughing violently. I’ve got an appt to see my PCP on Friday and if he can give me something – anything – you know, lung transplant, cough medicine with codeine- to help control this cough. Anyway, I love this pose and the peace it brings. It is one of my most favorite leg stretches ever.
3. Aged cheese (with a nice glass of wine, of course) currently, any cheese from Cowgirl creamery is such a treat. http://cowgirlcreamery.com/cheeses.asp. On Monday, I met my Aunt and Grandfather at a cute farm where they make Gouda (aged about 60 days). I purchased both smokey Gouda and habernero jalapeno Gouda, both strong and tasty and couldn’t believe that home-made cheese was a short drive away from my home. My Grandfather is doing really well these days, both physically and mentally and we all enjoyed moo’ing at the cows (that always reminds me of The Far Side) and taking in the whole farm scene.
4. Anthropologie – Though I mostly purchase gifts for other people at this fine store, I do love their clothes – they are just not in my budget. I am a *sales only* girl due to working retail early on in my career. I know that EVERYTHING goes on sale and I won’t purchase until it’s been discounted at least once. Our anthro store has a cool little room devoted just to their sale items. It’s fun to sort through the home goods and clothes.
5. Academy Awards – I love award shows… well mostly I LOVE the red carpet, the dresses, the makeup and the JEWELRY and the pre-show interviews. I am lucky to be married to someone who is not only patient enough to stay up for most of the entire show but who truly enjoys watching the award show, hearing the speeches and sharing a teary eyed smile when we watch something moving - like Kate Winslet's comments at the Golden Globes. I am a Lucky girl. Here's hoping that Mickey Rourke will wash his hair since he is now an Oscar nominee. I miss old Mickey Rourke from my raging hormone teen days and his pre-botox/plastic surgery days.
6. Avocados – Oh avocados, how I love thee let me count the many ways. My favorite thing is to take a ripe avo and slice it on whole wheat crackers or toast. I eat avos’ with everything and usually eat one a day with lunch during the work week and they have the added bonus of being heart healthy.
7 Alternative music - I graduated high school in 1990, right before grunge became the scene. I can vividly remember the transition from listening to the top 40's station featuring the hit sings I would love to roller skate to and then listening to Blondie, David Bowie and other 80's staples starting around 1984-ish. Suddenly, reading Vogue, Elle and dreaming of living in NYC as a famous fashion something (I can't draw/design and I am vertically challenged) replaced my roller skates. High fashion became a part of my life when I was freed from wearing the green, brown and white plaid Catholic school uniform where my life as a clotheshorse began.
8 Ashton Kutcher - He’s got good looks and a goofy sense of humor. I have to say I am not a fan of the truck driver hat look, so glad that fad has passed but I still think he just a major hotty pants.
9. Art – I can remember the day that Andy Warhol passed away, an icon in pop culture and realizing that art can impact so many parts of our lives. I don't have a favorite genre or artist. I love going to museums and living in So Cal we have many in close proximity. I have to say that my top two faves are:
Walking into the NS is like visiting a lavish, palatial, Pasadena estate. It's welcoming.
and the first place I viewed a Degas in real life.
10. Adoption – It will help me achieve my goal of becoming a parent