Monday, June 16, 2008

July 31st, 2008

The date for reunification has been set and surprisingly I'm doing Ok. Probably because A) it hasn't hit me and B) I'm at work where meltdowns are not welcomed nor do I have time for one.

We knew when we started the process the courts were pushing for reunification. Unfortunately, with that trend the standards of parenting are being lowered and with that the child is the one that suffers - ultimately so do we, as a society. There is a hearing for women’s and children’s issues this week, right down the hall from where I work and I’ve been tempted to write something in regards to the foster care system.

I just can't find the time to be an activist this week. :-(

5 comments:

Io said...

Oh honey. When it hits you, just imagine I am there squeezing your hand and repeating you.will.make.it.
And then tell Mz Bitter Be-otch to come on over and write a scathing post.

Io said...

(By the way, your picture is AWESOME.)

Alyssa said...

Oh, Kara, I'm so sorry. I know this is not what you wanted and I can make an educated guess that this is clearly not a decision made in the best interest of the girls.

I'm glad you are doing well and I will continue to wish you peace with this situation. I still honor you and your strength through all of this-you will never know where your influence on these little girls will end.

Kara said...

What a roller coaster ride - thanks for your comments ladies, it means the world to me.

There are days when I think I need to shout to the sky and say - "OK - I get it, you don't want me to be a parent". Then I'm able to re-group and be reminded that there is a reason, some strange effed up reasone *hopefully* will make sense to me one day. Today, that reason is that I've begun to think about my relationship and feelings for the girls and how similiar this will be to when I teach.

It's getting me through today and that's a good thing.

Thanks to you guys ( and everyone else who is reading)for the support - seriously, you guys rock! I might do an open letter and post on VMB, we'll see. I hate that we'll see, usually always means no. I will post the letter, promise.

kate said...

Oh, I'm so sorry that this has been going on. I hate times when I feel like I have too much going on to be able to advocate as I'd like to. I understand your frustration with the reunification thing. And I know that you are being extrordinarily level-headed about it right now, far more than I would be. But I kind of think that this is what marks you as a great parent- the ability to look at a situation, accept it for what it is, and do the best you can with it.

It is all kind of unfair though. I really do hope that the kiddos are reentering a happier home than the one they left.